Made out of salt-free new cheese, hosmerim is a traditional dessert from Balikesir province of Turkey.
The recipe requires unsalted new cheese, preferably with a high moisture ratio.
Since I cannot find the type of cheese I need for the recipe, I make my own. Therefore, it is slightly different from the original recipe.
Preparation time: Approximately 5 hours. 6 servings.
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 tsp rennet
- 1/4 cups of dry milk (optional)
- 1 cup of semolina
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Follow the cheese recipe until step 9.
- In a saucepan, combine the cheese mixture, semolina and sugar. If you like a custard texture dessert, boil the cheese mixture until the custards separate before adding semolina and sugar .
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve chilled.
- Chill before serving, stirring occasionally in order to prevent cream formatıon on top.