I was craving for a Turkish bagel for quite some time.
Finally I found a recipe and most importantly found courage to try it.
If you are familiar with baking and making doughs, it should be really easy for you.
- 2 lb (7 cups) of flour
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cups of water
- 1 lb of sesame (white)
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp water
- Place sesame in a shallow skillet and roast them at medium heat with constantly stir them until their color turn into light brown.
- In a large bowl dissolve molases in water. In another bowl mix the yogurt and water. Make sure that there is no lump.
- Dissolve the yeast ant the sugar in warm water, and let them sit aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and the salt, make a pond in the center of the mixture and add the yeast.
- Make a soft, non-sticky dough, if necessary add more flour or water, a little at a time.
- Let the dough set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the dough on a slightly floured surface, divide into 7-8 pieces, and make balls.
- Prepare a roll larger and thinner than regular bagel. There are several ways to prepare the roll, the one I prefer to use is this. The thickness should be 1.5-2 inches.
9. Place the roll aside, on a dough cloth, until you finish all of the rolls.
10. Completely soak the roll in the molasses mixture, and remove immediately. Make the dough a little thinner, and remove the extra water.
11. In a shallow dish put some sesame, place the wet dough onto it, and sprinkle more sesame. Make sure that sesame covers all over the roll.
12. Place the sesame covered roll on a baking sheet or a dry surface, and let them rise for at least 30 minutes. If your bagels get thicker, pull aside from the center to make them thinner.
13. Heat the oven to 550F-275C.
14. Fill an oven safe dish with water and place it to the bottom rack.
15. Slightly brush the top of the bagels with yogurt-water mixture.
16. Once the oven is heated, place the first baking sheet filled with Turkish bagels on the top rack. Bake it about 15-20 minutes or until the bagels become golden brown. Don’t open the oven at the first 12-14 minutes.
17. Moist a dough cloth and cover the bagels with the cloth as soon as you take them out of the oven.
Tip: If you have a pizza stone, it tastes even better, and may take less time to cook.